3 October 2011
3 October 2011
Please find the preview edition of the First Committee Monitor, the weekly publication from the NGO Working Group on the First Committee, online for download in PDF or viewing in HTML. The editorial for this week's edition is also included below.
The First Committee Monitor is coordinated, edited, and distributed by the Reaching Critical Will project of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. Reaching Critical Will also collects and posts online all statements, draft resolutions, and other documentation from the First Committee.
In this edition:
- Editorial: The role of First Committee in building a better world
- Reflections on the UN General Assembly general debate 2011
- Report on the high-level meeting on nuclear safety and security
- Nuclear weapons: hazardous and illegal
- Nuclear weapons spending: a theft of public resources
- Revitalizing multilateral disarmament negotiations
- The CCW: Re-legitimizing cluster munitions and de-legitimizing the partnership between civil society and concerned states
- Moving forward on the arms trade treaty
- Responding to the impact of explosive weapons
- Does Unmanned make Unacceptable? An exploration of the debate on the use of drones and robots on the battlefield
- Looking forward to a successful 2012 on small arms and light weapons
- What next for NATO?
If your delegation or organisation is interested in advertising an event or publication in the First Committee Monitor, please email info[at]reachingcriticalwill.org.
If you are interested in supporting the First Committee Monitor or Reaching Critical Will's other activities, please write to us!
Ray Acheson, RCW Project Director